Saturday, July 27, 2013

Egor Efiok Denies Saying Oge Okoye Had Hypertension

 
Sometime in May, while trying to explain why Nigerians need to give Monalisa Chinda and her new man Lanre Nzeribe a break and love them as a couple, publicist Egor Efiok revealed that hate comments thrown at Oge Okoye had gotten her hypertensive.
Egor had said:

Why can't you feel happy for Monalisa after knowing what she has been through? Do you want to kill all our celebs with your bullying? I thought you had learnt after Goldie. Celebrities are human and have feelings.  
In her attempt to re-brand herself, you bullied Oge Okoye and made her hypertensive. "She's an mgbeke"...she's this...she's that..." you kept firing! While you were busy bullying her for nothing, more talent scouts were noticing her. 
That comment drew more negative reactions from the public and in a recent interview with Stella Dimokokorkus, Egor tried to explain what she really meant.

Excerpts:
  • There was a recent uproar about a letter you wrote and I would like you to explain a few issues that I believe the public would also want answered. First of all, people were annoyed about you revealing Oge Okoye's medical history.
Well, about that, I must admit that I can be over emotional and spontaneous. If I'd given myself 24
hours to think carefully about it, I wouldn't have written it.
My problem is that I'm precocious and often times, I find myself ignoring people when they don't 'get me', as it's too much of an effort to explain.

Anyone that really knows English and understands the difference between nouns, verbs, adjectives etc would know that I did no such thing. A lot of people say stuff like "excuse my left" when the correct term is "permit my left".
They'd use words like 'peak' when referring to humans instead of 'pique' because they have no clue that the former is a verb and you only use verbs with objects and the latter is a noun which can only be used with humans.
They use tautology a lot too and would promise people 'free gifts' in competitions when both words mean the same thing.

My exact words were "you made Oge Okoye hypertensive with your bullying". I never said Oge had been diagnosed with hypertension.
When they started saying that I revealed Oge's medical history, I just shook my head. Everyone can get hypertensive or develop high pressure as a result of anxiety and normally lots of rest would rectify it.
It doesn't mean that they have a condition.

For instance, you can hear me viciously coughing in between answering your questions. I have a painful chest infection and have developed high fever as a result. Does it mean I have a heart attack?

Anxiety can bring on stress and heart palpitations, even in pregnancy, and that's exactly what I meant. It doesn't mean that the person was born with the condition. People chide each other all the time saying stuff like "please don't give yourself high blood pressure". Some of those comments can actually bring on any of these conditions and my advice to people that get bothered about them is not to read the comments.
  •  How did you feel about the comments though? You must be aware that they were quite vicious. 
I took my own advice after I wrote the letter and stayed off social network for almost two months and was only hearing snippets of what was being said from friends. The break also provided me a good opportunity to do many things, so I didn't allow myself get distracted.
When a friend sent me a few screen grabs of some of the funniest comments, I was laughing so much that she remarked that it's so cool that I have such a good sense of humour.

Dem yab me o, no be small.  Thing is, I genuinely find many of the comments hilarious...stuff like I look like an atilogwu dancer at a new yam festival, Mighty Egor and there was this freak wanking over my photos even though he thinks I'm 'not pretty'. I laughed so much and even love the 'Mighty Egor' title. (laughing)
Let's be real, they are genuinely funny, honest some of these anons are entertainers. Not everyone is as laidback as myself though, and some people take these comments to heart, so I'll still stand by my advice not to read the comments. Even I never have the time to read more than the first 20 comments on blogs that have too many comments. Usually, the first 20 comments are enough to deduce what the rest would be like.

So please, I didn't reveal Oge's 'medical condition' and have no knowledge about her medical history. I was just misconstrued and it got blown out of proportion as a result. Ema bi nu, make una no vex mbok.

No comments:

Post a Comment