Friday, May 15, 2015

Most gospel music of today are shallow – Akin Adebayo (Imole Ayo)


Akin Adebayo, leader of the Imole Ayo Gospel Band, needs little or no introduction to lovers of gospel music. To his numerous fans, he is popularly known as ‘Imole Ayo’ (Light of Joy). And in his church, Celestial Church of Christ, Adebayo enjoys a high level of reverence.
Born over 50 years ago in Ondo, Ondo State, Adebayo has emerged very successful in a field that is alien to his background and family lineage. He taught himself the rudiments of music, leading to the release of his debut album, ‘Oro Oluwa’ (Word of God) in 1981, while still working with the Federal Ministry of Works.
In this chat with TS Weekend, Adebayo went back memory lane, recounting the days when he had to beg record companies to release his albums without expecting anything in return. According to him, he only wanted his records to be released and nothing more. The artiste also reflected on the dark days of gospel music, and the problems and challenges associated with the industry today. Enjoy it.
Tell us the beginning of this 35 years journey?
It all started when the passion to sing gripped me as I watched musicians on television in those days. The grip was so much that I started spending my spare time to learn how to play the guitar. I did this with the help of some books I bought from Decross Gospel Stores. This was how it all started. I later went to a music school owned by one policeman in Ikeja, Lagos. I was there for six months to fine-tune my knowledge of the guitar. But before then, I was playing the local drums in my church, as a member of the church choir.
At what point did you form your band and release your first album?
It was shortly after I left the music school. We were just a group of likeminded boys playing at church functions, church concerts and choir competitions among churches then. My first album was released in 1981. It was titled ‘Oro Oluwa’ (Word of God). I gave it to the late Chief I.K Dairo’s junior brother who was then a record distributor at Ebute Meta, Lagos. I was too eager to release the album that I cared very little about any contract or proceeds from sales. I think he printed and sold a thousand copies of the album. My joy knew no bound when the album was released. But it had little impact since there was no publicity of any kind.
How were you able to raise fund for the second album and when was it released?
By that time, I was working as a clerk with the Federal Ministry of Works, Ikoyi. It was out of my personal savings that the first and second album projects were funded.
But you had a band already?
Yes, but the band had no money. We came together to rehearse and after that shared whatever amount we had among each other, just to eat and drink. Like me, most of the band members were engaged in one form of work or the other. No one was looking up to the band for financial upkeep.
And the album, what happened to it?
Like I said, I paid for studio sessions, which had to do with the release of the album, from my pocket. The first album was entitled ‘Imole Ayo’ (Light of Joy). I took it to Chief I.K Dairo’s junior brother to help distribute it. It was on this project that I met Mr. Orebela, a staff of Radio Nigeria 3. I gave him the record because he promised to play it on air if it was good enough. As it turned out, the record was on air all through that weekend. This marked the beginning of the exposure of my music to the nation.
Can you explain more on this?
The record was played over the weekend, which made everyone at my work place to hear it. The record dealer I gave the album was surprised and very happy. This effort opened the gates of success for the album.
All along, you were still working at the Federal Ministry of Works?
Oh, yes, by the time I got to the office the following Monday, I was welcomed like a king by all and sundry. The Permanent Secretary, my immediate boss, and everyone were so happy with me. Even, I was taken to see the Minister of Works himself. It was at this point that I got the surname “Imole Ayo”. Everyone in the office started calling me “Imole Ayo”.
How did your church receive the news?
It was a great breakthrough for both my church and my band. Overnight, the band became the toast of the church and the larger Celestial Church of Christ. Invitations started pouring in, inviting us to perform in churches. From Radio Nigeria 3, the record was taken over by other radio stations. This was how ‘Imole Ayo’ came to be. It is now the name of the band and which many people call me till today. I was barely 20 years old at that time. By 2014, it was 33 years since I released the album, ‘Imole Ayo’, and it’s still selling.
How quickly were you able to build on the success of ‘Imole Ayo’? 
The record was followed by ‘Mase Foya’ (Be Not Afraid), ‘Ona Ara’ (Miracle), ‘Gbemileke’ (Lift Me Up), and others that equally became successful.
Within these 35 years of gospel music business, how many records have you released?
Altogether, I have released 25 albums. I don’t release record because I feel like it or to catch on the season like Easter, Christmas or New Year as some musicians do. I release albums as led by God, after due and adequate preparation.
Which of your records has been most financially successful?
‘Imole Ayo’ opened the doors of financial success for me. As God would have it, none of my albums has failed in the market. All of them are still selling.
Including Imole Ayo?
Oh, yes. It’s interesting, but it’s still among my best selling records despite the fact that it was released 33 years ago.
Can you point out the most spiritually touching among your albums?
All of them are spiritually impactful and inspiring. This is not out of pride, but a lot of spiritual preparations go into my records. Fasting, prayers, meditations and studying the Bible to get divine lead, are part of it. I thank God for not disappointing me on their impact on the society.
Are you saying that waiting on the Lord is essential to releasing quality gospel album?
Well, this is what I do. What I do may not be applicable to others. Our level of anointing differs so also the grace we have received for our ministry. However, I enjoin gospel artistes to find their connecting channel to God and operate on it.
Can we say that this spiritual preparation is responsible for the almost evergreen nature of your albums?
I won’t say yes or no. God has His hands in all good things and the reason or reasons for this is best known to Him. One thing I know is that God backs-up whatever He commands. I see my music as one of such. I did not come into music to make money or fame.
Were you called as a minister of God to play music or it’s just a life you love to live?
Initially, music was just a passion for me. With music, I wanted to serve God, make people know and serve Him. Like I said earlier, I was working when I released my first three records. It was when the demand for the records and playing engagements in churches nationwide became consuming that I abandoned my work as a civil servant and then opted to be a full time gospel musician. I have no regrets ever since.
You mean you left work without adequate preparation?
Yes, in fact, I didn’t even resign; I just quit. Something interesting followed that…
(Cuts in) What was that?
A friend of mine whose name came after mine on the pay roll was collecting my salary and bringing it to me. Anytime he brought the money, I used to reject it. One day, I told him to stop collecting the money and that if he did not stop, God will deal with him. That was the last time I saw him.
How many band members chose to stay with you full time then?
None. They were all gainfully employed or doing well in their businesses. They felt no great pressure to play music on full time basis like me.
What can you say fuelled your decision to jettison everything for gospel music?
It’s the passion to sing for God. It was this that geared me up in whatever spiritual steps I took to move forward in gospel music.
How would you compare today’s gospel music and that of your generation?
I shall be hiding the truth if I say that there are no comparisons. Unlike other forms of music that change with time, gospel music is not that easily subjected to change. Where changes are inevitable due to technology, the power behind it and the lyrics remain the same. Gospel music is spreading the good news of Jesus Christ.
Can you please explain further?
Most gospel music of today are shallow – too much noise and no tangible message. There are not enough lyrics that affect lives and impact the people. Only few albums from the present crop of gospel singers have something to write home about. This is because many of them refused to route their channel of communication to God, to power their ministry. Many of them are one track or one-album stars. To go further in music after this initial success is very difficult for them because there is not enough spiritual strength and depth in their foundation.
Is this out of sin or carelessness?
In the area of worldly music, you can escape (the penalty) but not so with gospel music. Nowadays, you find pride, avarice, hatred, backbiting and gossips among the circle of gospel musicians. As for their music, they might be thinking that they are singing for God, but the truth is that God cannot be glorified in such empty songs. Yes, it’s possible for them to have commercial success, but spiritually they are failure, and sooner than later, they shall meet a brick wall.

Is holiness missing among today’s gospel musicians?
To a level the answer is yes. It shows in their lyrics and dressing. Holiness, which God Himself ordained for all his ministers, is a must for his servants. It has no duplicate nor can it be faked. I call on modern day gospel musicians to be careful of satanic anointing. The Bible says that Satan also appears as an angel of light. Therefore, we need to know and know very well the kind of light we are operating in and the anointing that comes with it. You cannot be dead drunk or half naked to the studio with a questionable female or male friend by your side and claim to be singing for Jesus. No, you are only eulogizing the enemy of your soul.
What’s your advice to present day gospel musicians?
Let them go back to God, let them remain under His wings. They are to do away with worldliness in all areas of life. Marriage is what the Bible says is honourable and not romantic friendship or marriage trials.

No comments:

Post a Comment